Good road and infrastructure design for cyclists, for people who choose to ride bicycles is the focus of the Austroads guide, Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guide which has been updated in 2014. Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides is about providing information that relates to the planning, design and traffic management of cycling facilities. Interested readers can download the 2nd edition of the The Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides (2014) from my Dropbox.
Whilst the guide is aimed at engineers, planners and designers involved in the planning, design, construction and management of cycling facilities I think it is also informative for others interested in providing quality safe infrastructure for people who wish to ride bicycles in a safe environment.
In summary the Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides provides:
- an overview of planning and traffic management considerations and cross-references to other Austroads Guides and texts for further detailed information
- a summary of design guidance and criteria relating to on-road and off-road bicycle facilities together with a high level of cross-referencing to the relevant Austroads Guides for further information
- information and cross-references on the provision for cyclists at structures, traffic control devices, construction and maintenance considerations and end of trip facilities.
The Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guide as published in 2014 is the second edition of the Guide. The key updates include:
- improving cross-references to other Austroads guidance, including summary cross-reference tables at the beginning of each section
- providing broader consideration of other Austroads Guides applicable to cycling
- updating the report to reflect new editions of the Guide to Traffic Management (Parts 3, 6 and 9) and Guide to Road Safety (Part 1)
- enhancing or clarifying guidance for topics such as path crossings of roads, access considerations at freeway interchanges, construction and maintenance considerations and pavements for cycling.
The full citation for the Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides is:
Levasseur, M. (2014). Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides (2nd Ed.). Sydney, NSW: Austroads Ltd.