This post provides links to various threads at Bicycles Network Australia (and other sites) which I feel provide useful information on maintaining one’s bicycles.
- The Bicycle Tutor – Over 30 videos on various bike repair topics.
- Repair Help at Park Tools – Tool service instructions; How to guides and recommended tool lists.
- Lennard Zinn repair manuals – Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (highly recommend and use) and Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.
- Shimano Help Desk – Shimano technical documents
- What to watch for when buying a used carbon frame â€“ BikeRadar.com
- BikeRadar.com on cleaning and lubing your bike
- BikeRadar.com on preparing your bike for winter riding
- Front dÃ©railleur adjustment
- Rear dÃ©railleur adjustment
- BikeRadar.com on how to set up your gears on your bike. Semi-helpful guide IMO.
Pedals and Cleats
- Servicing Pedals and Cleats – BikeRadar.com
- Servicing and stripping clipless pedals (Shimano SPD) – BikeRadar.com
- Suggestions on tools and tool kits for bike maintenance – Bicycle Network Australia thread.
- BicycleTutor.com video on basic bike repair tools.
Tubes and Tyres
- Tyre wear – When to replace? – Good discussion on when to replace worn tyres – Bicycle Network Australia thread.
- How to Repair a Tube – Bicycle Network Australia thread.
- Repairing a puncture (flat). BicycleTutor.com video and link to BikeRadar.com video.
- How to set up Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace â€“ Helpfully discussion of the more recent models of Shimano shifters â€“ BikeRadar.com
Silent Riding – Tracking Down that Noise
- Silent Riding – Rim eyelets causing a clicking sound. An interesting article by Michael Golding at Aspire VeloTech on a possible cause of a clicking sound – rim eyelets.
Wheel Building and Maintenance