Cyclehoops bicycles are the winning design in the â€˜Reinventing the Bike Shed’ competition and where nominated for Product of the Year 2009. They are quite a neat solution to adding street bike parking space in a low cost and non-instrustive manner.
Cyclehoops come in two forms: one for signposts and parking meters and the other for lampposts and bollards. Â The key features according to the manufacturer are:
- The Cyclehoop converts existing signposts and parking meters into secure cycle stands and is quick and easy to install.
- They are ideal for locations where pavement space is limited, compact design helps reduce street clutter
- They are pedestrian friendly by preventing bicycles from falling over.
- They allow bicycles to be locked through the frame and both wheelsÂ using a D-Lock, reducing the risk of theft.
- Locking advice stickers educate cyclists on proper locking methods.
- Each unit parks two bicycles.
- Suitable for 60mm, 76mm and 89mm diameter posts.
With respect to the lamppost model:
- They converts existing lampposts and bollards into official cycle stands and is quick and easy to install.
- Patent pending design fits any size or shape of post.
- The design allows cyclists to lock through the frame and both wheels.
- The design prevents the access panel from being blocked and reduces damage to the lamppost from bicycle chains and pedals.
- Single or double sided parking available.
It would be great if our local councils gave some thought to using the Cyclehoops or similar to provide low cost and extensive parking options to cyclists, thus contributing to an improvement in the end-of-trip facilities. Â Please consider letting your local council know about Cyclehoops.
Credit: I Am In Like With My Bike