My Look 555 today received its third 1,000 km service for 2010 at 13,965 km, approximately 1,100 km since the last service. It turn out this service has become an extended service with ongoing issues with the saddle and the headset. I try to do regular services at 500 km intervals (winter-spring) and 1,000 km services during the summer-autumn period. Anyway, this 1,000 km service consists of:
- Degreasing the chain using a Parkâ€™s Tool CM-5 Cyclone Chain Scrubber and Australian Export degreaser;
- Application of Rock and Roll Gold chain lube to the chain;
- Checking of chain wear with a Park Tools CC-3 Chain Wear indicator. All is looking good at this point;
- The rear shifter cable outer is showing signs of damage so looks like a replacement will be need soon;
- I went over the bike checking the bolts and screws â€“ nothing loose which is nice to know;
- Cleaned the bike;
- Initially I adjusted the FSA â€œFaulty Spares Attachedâ€ Orbit IS headset as I had a shudder when I applied the front bike. I thought I had it sorted but it came back during the week. So I had to completely remove the compression plug, the FSA Orbit IS uses a compression plug rather than a star nut. It seems the top cap had been screwed down tight on to the compression plug effectively removing any adjustment. Once I managed to separate the two parts, I was able to correctly position the compression plug, tighten into place and then tighten up the top cap. Initial testing suggest this has worked but only a decent ride will confirm this.
- Raised my saddle height by approximately 3 to 5 mm as I am bowing my right leg when pedalling. Well this little adjustment resulted in a very painful (on the ears) creak which I had to put up with all week as I didnâ€™t have an opportunity to address it. Today I completely removed the seat post and clamp and applied Ritchey Liquid Torque to the post and clamp. While I was at it I applied Brooks Proofide to the underside of the Brooks B17 Narrow. Initial testing suggests the problem is fixed but again only a longer ride will confirm this.
- No other issues where noted. Tyre wear is okay and brake pad wear is okay.