The CIty of Fremantle has released its 2012 Super Tuesday Bike Commuter Survey report. The Super Tuesday bicycle count was undertaken in the morning of Tuesday March 6, 2012 between 7:00 AM and 9:00 AM at 19 sites. The City of Fremantle recorded an average of 38.75 riders per 30 minutes at the busiest site, Canning Hwy towards East St, Queen Victoria St and Queen Victoria St bridge which ranked 26th overall nationally.
The key findings from the Super Tuesday bicycle count in the City of Fremantle are:
- Site 5059: Canning Highway towards East St, Queen Victoria St and Queen Victoria St Bridge, was the busiest commuter route in the Fremantle municipality, with a total of 155 riders.
- Fremantle recorded an average of 38.75 riders per 30 minutes at the busiest site which ranked 26th overall nationally
- Queen Victoria Bridge has been identified as the main access point for riders from the north.
- South Terrace has been identified as a key north/south route for riders
- Beach St with associated off road path is popular with riders travelling south towards Fremantle.
The report highlights the importance of the Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge as the northern access point for the City of Fremantle and South Terrace as the southern access point. Both access points are lacking in terms of cycling infrastructure even though the City of Fremantle has made some progress with South Terrarce issues with Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge, Tydeman Road and the Fremantle to Perth Principal Shared Path remain.
The City of Fremantle was awarded a Perth Bicycle Network Grant in the 2011-2012 financial year to complete some work on the Fremantle – Perth PSP in North Fremantle (Pearse Street to Congdon Street) which is still in progress. Whilst this will help it will not address the issues of Tydeman Road the Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge.
Hopefully this report provides further evidence to the Minister of Transport that we need action on addressing these deficiencies in the cycling network.
For those interested, the full report can be download from my Dropbox.