I purchased my Topeak Modula XL water bottle cage which is designed to take 1 to 1.5 litre water bottles from Bike24.net in March 2010 for AU$19.34 landed and fitted the cage to my Surly Long Haul Trucker on March 26, 2010 at the 5,833 km point. My original intention had been to eventually fit two cages within the triangle, but even with a 58 cm frame I know longer believe this will work, so it will be one cage on the bike and possibly two on my BOB Ibex trailer. The other reason for not going with two on the bike is the cage is too large to hold a normal cycling bidon, it is designed for bottles with a outside diameter between 89 mm to 92 mm. As I prefer to drink as I ride this is an issue for me, so I now use the cage to hold my resupply bottle.
I have had two more issues with the cage; one when installing it and one on my Esperance to Perth road tour. When installing it, I attempted to adjust the neck clamp and in doing so I screwed it too far upwards and the little circlip which is meant to”stop” the turning came off and was lost. Not a major issue but still an indication of a cheap design.
My second issue occurred on the road. The neck clamp has a rubber strap which holds the bottled into the clamp. This strap is a tight fit and quite hard to get hooked on and off. In the process of doing this I accidently managed to break the little plastic hook the strap hooks on to, thus rendering the strap useless. I overcame this issue with a cable tie, but again to me this reflects the cheap design approach taken. This product really needs to be able to stand up to the rigours of bicycle touring in my view.
In summary whilst this cage has not worked for me I do like the idea it will carry larger bottles (pretty important on some of the tours I have in mind) so I am now looking for something similar; just not another Topeak Modula XL.
For those interested in specifications the following information may be of interest.
- My recorded weight for the cage is 128 grams;
- The cage is made of 6061 T6 aluminium cage frame with an engineering plastic cap holder;
- A rubber strap is used to hold the cap and it holds it tightly and is quite hard to connect and disconnect;
- The plastic cap holder has an adjustment range of up to 40 mm;
- The cage has an adjustable height range of 300 – 340 mm
- The cage is designed to hold 1 – 1.5 litre capacity soft drink PET bottles;
- Bottles with an outside diameter between 89 – 92 mm are suitable.