WestcycleÂ (they can also be found on Facebook and on Twitter) is the new state coordinating body for cycling in Western Australia. Westcycle is about embracing the competitive recreation and transport elements of cycling.
Westcycle’s full strategic plan for the period 2012 – 2014 can be downloaded here and I do encourage you to download and read it. Â I have highlighted a couple of key aspects of the plan to wet your appetitte.
Westcycle’s Strategic Mission
To service, protect and promote the interests of our member organisations and to facilitate the development of cycling at all levels andÂ across all elements.
Within this mission statement Westcycle sees itself:
- Working for all Western Australian cyclists;
- Not competing with other cycling organisations by not gettingÂ involvedÂ in event or program delivery;
- Planning forÂ success.
Westcycle Strategic Challenges
WestCycle sees that it has a role in Western Australia in respect of three strategic challenges:
- Building relationships, alliances and partnerships with organisations and groups that form part of the WA cycling community.
- Creating a shared vision of cycling in WA across the competitive, recreation and transport elements and then delivering that vision through a statewide strategic plan for cycling in WA.
- Ensuring the ongoing financial stability of Westcycle and working with our member organisations to support their sustainability.
WestCycle Strategic Goals
Westcycle has three overarchingÂ strategicÂ goals which it expects toÂ achieveÂ within the life time of the Strategic Plan:
Â Leadership and Coordination -Â The Western Australian cyclingÂ communityÂ is working in collaboration to advance and promote cycling.
Westcycle’s targets under the heading of leadership and coordination are:
- Development and endorsement of a Statewide Strategic Plan for Cycling in WA by 30 September 2012;
- Development and endorsement of a WA Mountain Bike Strategy and Sustainability Framework by 30 June 2013;
- Colocation office facility established and shared by all state cycling representative bodies by 30 June 2013;
- Coordinated events calendar established for 2013 racing year;
- Launch of Westcycle website by 31 March 2012;
- Actions identified on how to progress common insurance issueÂ by 30 June 2012.
Advocacy -Â Westcycle is acknowledged as a trusted advocate working towards positive change for the WAÂ cycling community.
Westcycle’s targets under the heading ofÂ advocacyÂ are:
- Westcycle is recognised as the voice of cycling to government in WA by all of our members;
- Membership base to include all state cycling representative bodies by 30Â June 2013.
Resources -Â The Western Australian Cycling community is well resourced.
Westcycle’s targets under the heading ofÂ resources are:
- Commercialisation strategy developed and targets established by 30 June 2012;
- Yearly growth in non-grant funded revenue streams;
- Yearly growth in the amount of funds distributed to our member organisation for cyclingÂ initiatives.
Closing Comments on Westcycle
On a personal note I think Westcycle has been reasonable in its objectives and I believe its approach of engagement andÂ involvementÂ of all Western Australian cycling organisations is a good one as it encourages the different facets of cycling in Western Australia to work together under the one umbrella organisation. Â HopefullyÂ Westcycle is able to complete this goad with the bringing into the fold,Â Bicycling Western Australia.
I wish all the success to Westcycle and I do hope that all cyclists in Western Australia support the organisation in working on our behalf.