Sir Lancelot, my Surly Long Haul Trucker received a â€œwinterâ€ service today at 3,736 km / 2,315 mi.Â This one was about 500 km overdue, so really should have done twice in the same period.Â That said, other than being really dirty, there was no noticeable negative impact from the delay serviced.
Winter services are scheduled every 500 km and consist of:
- Degreasing the chain using a Parkâ€™s Tool CM-5 Cyclone Chain Scrubber and Australian Export degreaser;
- Application of Rock and Roll Gold chain lube to the chain;
- Checking of chain wear with a Park Tools CC-3 Chain Wear indicator -Â no issues on this front;
- Checking the tension on all bolts and screws on Sir Lancelot.Â More signs of rust in numerous bolts and screws.Â Applied Inox to all the bolts and screws to hopefully slow down the rusting.
- Cleaning the bike.Â I ensured that I covered the Garmin Edge GCS-10 sensor this time with a plastic bag to avoid it getting wet. It seems to have done the trick.
- As it is the first service in Spring 09 Sir Lancelot got a polish as well. Applied Turtle Wax car polish.
Tyre wear is okay, brake pad wear is okay and the derailleurs and brakes are holding their adjustments okay.
On the down side there is some paint damage to the top tube. I guess that just comes with life on the road as a tourer and commuter.